Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Update on Chris

Well, the school year has started and Chris is back to work. While things are going fine in the new classroom and building, he has a little complication with his ileostomy. Chris' stoma (the opening) has prolapsed...meaning that his small intestine is pushing through it and is no longer flush against his skin. While it is generally not painful, it has not fixed itself on its own and needs to be repaired with a procedure/surgery.

Fortunately the surgery should not be near as invasive as the previous two, however there will be a recovery time between a few weeks up to a month or more out of work (hard to imagine it will be that long though). There are two options that the surgeon has to repair the prolapse but won't know which will work until he gets into the operating room. Ideally it would be laproscopic and more like an outpatient procedure. The other option is to make an additional incision which would require a somewhat short hospital stay and a longer recovery.

Surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, September 8th in the afternoon. It will again be at Shawnee Mission Medical Center with Dr. Graham. Since I am still on maternity leave (returning 9/20), I will be there and should be able to post updates throughout the day although we're assuming the procedure, regardless of which type, will be much shorter than last time.

On a more positive note...

Chris has received a couple of special honors for teaching. First, he was one of four employees in the entire Blue Valley School District recognized at their back-to-school district-wide meeting for his role in inspiring a student this past year. They played a very nice video about him and I was able to sneak in to watch it.

Also, I am very excited and proud that Chris is one of the Blue Valley nominees for the Kansas State of Education's Horizon Award which celebrates achievements of first-year teachers with this presentation. I don't know much more about it, other than the submissions were due this week, but will certainly keep you posted!

Finally...

You know you eat someplace too often when you pull into the parking lot and your two-year-old chants "Pizza Maker, Pizza Maker...I eat Pizza Maker". Oh yeah, and she also thinks tall men who are bald are named "Bob" - the owner of Pizza Maker is Bob and he does not have much hair! What can I say, it is right around the corner from daycare, we've been going there since we were little, and who doesn't love pizza!!! :-)

Hope you all enjoy your day! Here's a picture of Kinley, who is getting bigger and bigger each day!



No comments:

Post a Comment